What’s one of the most foundational aspects of our health that we sometimes forget about? Hydration!
Our bodies are two thirds water, so staying hydrated is essential for everything from clear skin to efficient digestion and elimination. We all know we need about eight, eight ounce glasses a day (depending on your size, activity level and local climate), but do you know where your water should be sourced from?
Bottled water is deceptively tempting. While it may seem safer, it’s often taken straight from community water sources, so it’s truly not any cleaner than tap water. On top of that, the plastic bottles leach chemicals such as bisphenol A (BPA) into the water, causing hormone imbalance and other not so fun health problems. Sun exposure can actually make this process worse (think a bottle of water sitting in the sun), which is why refilling used disposable plastic bottles is a huge no no!
Not to mention that plastic bottles are bad for the environment – and way more expensive for you. (For more info, take a look at this infographic.)
Your best bet is actually tap water that you filter yourself! Simple carbon filters, such as a Brita, remove chemicals, microorganisms and pesticides and make your water taste better.
That’s why I constantly have a reusable, BPA free water bottle with me that I fill up with filtered water at home and keep with me wherever I go. Just seeing it in my purse reminds me to chug every so often!
To inspire you to drink more (and better sourced) water, I’ve compiled the 10 cutest, most convenient and healthiest bottles that will have you sipping all day long.
- S’Well – water bottle with the best prints. If you like fun prints like marble or palm trees, this is your water bottle. But this stainless steel water bottle isn’t just fashion forward, it keeps water hot for 12 hours and cold for 24.
$25 – $45; capacity 9oz. – 25oz.; weight 8 oz. to 16 oz.; stainless steel
- Life Factory – best tasting water. In terms of chemicals leaching out of a material, glass seems to be the cleanest – and the best tasting available. Glass is a little bit heavier and more delicate than other materials, but the bottle is surrounded in a silicone sheath, so it’s safe to carry around and will even survive being dropped.
$14.99 – $26.99; capacity 9 oz. – 22 oz.; weight 9.6 oz. – 19.2 oz.; glass bottle with silicone sleeve
- Bkr – most likely to be carried by a celeb. From Kristen Bell to Miley Cyrus, it seems like all of Hollywood is carrying these sleek glass bottles with a slicone sleeve. The fresh colors and designs are inspired by runway trends, such as the “metallic hearts,” “spiked” and “neutral” collections.
$28 – $45; capacity 8 oz. – 32 oz.; weight 8.8 oz. – 24 oz.; glass with a silicone sleeve
- Bobble – best for on the go filtering. If you want to filter your own water w, this bottle with a filter built in is for you. Each filter is the equivalent of 300 bottles of water and costs less than four bucks. If you’re not in the mood for the filter, take it out and the bottle doubles as a fruit infuser. Filter and cap customizable with bright colors.
$5.99 – $12.99; capacity 18.5 oz. – 34 oz.; weight 2.9 oz. – 6.4 ounces; BPA free plastic
- Klean Kanteen – the “no drama” water bottle. Whether you want to go camping, use your car cup holder or commute to work, Klean Kanteen has you covered. Choose from up to six different caps depending on what you want to use it for, from a plastic sports cap to a steel and bamboo loop cap. With many bright colors, a lightweight design, and insulation to keep water hot for 12 hours and cold for 40, this is the all around no nonsense favorite for many.
$24.95 – $64.95; capacity 12oz. – 64 oz.; weight 9.1 oz. – 26.9 oz.; stainless steel
- Memo Bottle – water bottle for cool kids. This water bottle looks like glass but is made out of plastic, and the unique, flat shape is easily carried in a briefcase or clutch. The small version is reminiscent of a flask, so use with caution. These are so cool that they were in the gift bags for the 2016 Oscar nominees. Not dishwasher safe, not for hot or carbonated water.
$24 – $27; capacity 13 oz. – 25 oz.; weight 3.5 oz. – 7 oz.; BPA free plastic
- Alex – easiest water bottle to clean. This bottle unscrews in the middle, making it easy to hand wash, scrub with a sponge or throw in the dishwasher. That means Alex can also double as a smoothie holder! The only downside is that it’s not insulated, so it won’t keep drinks cold or protect your hands from anything hot. Customizable colors and even a glow in the dark option!
$32.99; capacity 26 oz; weight 2.9 oz; stainless steel with silicone sleeve
- Zing Anything – the fruit infusion specialist. I’m a huge fan of lemon water, and this bottle has a lemon juicer IN THE BOTTLE. I’m sold. Different accessories are available depending on what type of fruit you like, including a berry slicer, cucumber slicer and kiwi reamer.
$13 – $19; capacity 16 oz. – 36 oz.; BPA free plastic
- Hidrate Spark – smartest water bottle. If you’re someone that’s motivated by apps, this pricey water bottle may be worth it for you. Hidrate Spark tracks how much water you drink, syncs with an app on your phone (or your Google watch or Fitbit), then glows when you need to drink more water. Impressive!
$55; capacity 24 oz.; BPA free plastic
- The Hydro Flask – most customizable water bottle. Choose from seven sizes and two lid options, then pick from 14 colors for each of the four parts of the bottle. This stainless steel bottle will also keep liquids cold for 24 hours and hot for six.
$34 – $78; capacity 12 oz. – 64 oz.; stainless steel with silicone
Hope this inspires you to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! If you need some ideas for yummy, warm winter drinks, look here!